Some quiet days + Crossfit 168 review

So the last few days have been quite quiet. And to be honest - I’ve needed it. The intro week was so busy and we jammed ALOT of stuff in.
So when we got back from Port Stephens, we went out for the evening. I had a really good night - I didn’t spend a penny on drinks and danced for a while too.
The next day we headed to the office for a travel talk, and a chance to book any activities. Unfortunately, many of us felt that if we didnt book anything, we were looked on unfavourably. Many of us wanted to shop around and see if there were any other deals going, and some had no plans made whatsoever so didn’t want to book anything. It was quite sad and a bit of a low point of the trip if I’m being totally honest.
We then had a totally free afternoon on Sunday so I spent it wandering around and exploring. I visited Chinatown and walked all the way to Broadway and back. It felt good to get out by myself and have some time to myself. I then met my group and we had a chilled Sunday evening watching Moana in the Oz Intro office.
On Monday, we left to arrange our Medicare cards. Basically - Medicare is the NHS of Australia. You go to specific doctors and you don’t have to pay for treatment. We then went for a jobs talk. This was ridiculously boring for me. I have already signed up with a locum agency with a job in the pipeline. It was all very basic and not particularly useful for anyone above the age of 25, or who had work already lined up. Unfortunately, this wasn’t optional and so I sat there and watched the beautiful day outside pass me by.
Fortunately, the day perked up. We all dressed up and went up Westfield Tower. This is the tallest point in Sydney and also doubles up as a all you can eat buffet. It also rotates so we got 360 degree views of the city. It was so lovely and a great way to spend our last night together before we all head our seperate ways.
So today, (or more specifically, now) I’m sitting at the airport. The domestic terminal is right opposite the international terminal so I watching the giant flights come in which I was on nearly 2 weeks ago now. Compared to these planes, the plane I’m about to get on is TINY. I’m off to Melbourne for the Crossfit Regionals where I’m volunteering. I’m also getting some work out here to add to my funds. Although sad to leave Sydney, I’m looking forward to exploring somewhere new and quite pleased to get out of what is a very expensive city!

CROSSFIT 168
As many people know, I have been training with these guys for the last week. I was planning to review boxes as I travel which might help other backpackers who want to carry on with their fitness.
I came across this box after a Facebook search for boxes in Sydney, and I was pleased to discover that they were located a 5 minute walk from X Base hostel where I was staying. I sent them a message over Facebook enquiring about memberships which they responded quickly. I paid $65 (approx £37) for the week which was an unlimited use pass, included use of the open gym and all WODs. Their timetable was extensive and had a variety of class times throughout the day. I was also told that my membership would be extended for no additional cost to 10 days to cover my time in Sydney.
When I arrived, I came across two very friendly coaches who said hello and welcomed me immediately. They’ve made good use of their space - although a small box they have fit in a decent sized rig, 5 air bikes, rowers, a good dumbbell and kettlebell selection too. They also make use of the convenient block they’re in for warm ups and use of running around it (I didn’t have a session where there was no running involved).
They seemed to follow a set protocol - warm up, strength work on rig, then cardio work away from the rig - which allowed for wods to start every 30 mins. The only issue I found was when one morning we partook in Murph, where everyone needed space and that got a little awkward. But I’m spoilt with space at CFC so I’m not complaining!
All in all, a nice box. Lovely welcoming coaches and very simple to arrange to train. Equipment was fine and in a good location. A nice start to crossfitting in Australia.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things I’m thankful for....

But I didn’t see one kangaroo?!

Whistle stop tour of Canberra