Melbourne + Canberra

Hu guys!
I’m sorry I’ve been quiet - I’ve been doing LOADS and thought I better write it all down before I got sidetracked.
So after the CF Invitationals I had an easy couple of days. Tbh, I felt like I needed it. It’s been so busy since I’ve been here, it was good to get a couple of quiet days in. I helped Joy and Frank (Simone’s Mum and husband) move some furniture and watched the famous Melbourne Cup. This race literally stops Melbourne and many people take the day off for the cup. The weather was miserable (bloody Melbourne) but we still ran a sweepstake and got involved.
Wednesday I headed into the City with Frank for some sight seeing. We headed to Docklands - a very beautiful part of Melbourne not too dissimilar to Ipswich Waterfront, and caught the Free Tram around to Fitzroy Gardens, passing Parliament House on the way. There was a JFK memorial there aswell as a ‘Pixie Tree’ (basically a tree with a load of drawings on it) and Cook’s Cottage. Cook basically mapped Australia so pretty important and it was cool to see his cottage. We then jumped in the car and headed to St Kilda - an awesome part of Melbourne. Slightly alternative with a beach and fun fair - I loved it!
Thursday we all jumped in the car and headed to Frankston on the peninsula. Here we went to a winery and wandered around Flinders. It felt very quiet and out of the way which was lovely.
Friday I spent doing boring stuff such as washing, applying for jobs and other stuff like that.
On Saturday we briefly visited the Queen Victoria Market. A MASSIVE market in sheds selling everything you could think of, including some handy souvenirs which I may get when I go back in December. I then caught the 8 hour coach to Canberra to see the lovely El. For those of you who don’t know - El and I used to work together at Orwell. I left for Colne, El left for Australia. She is kindly letting me stay in her flat for a few days whilst I explore Canberra. Saturday night we went out for dinner and drinks with her work friends which was really nice!
So that takes me to today. We woke up and went for a run. Poor El - she competes in races and triathlons and so I totally slowed her down a lot today but it was a good 5km and it was good to get out with a mate. We then headed to Mount Ainslie and hiked up there for some stunning views of the city on what was a gorgeous day. We then briefly headed into the War Museum. This was really impressive and I learnt a lot about Australia’s participation in the wars. Will probably go back Tuesday for one of their free guided tours as they sounded very knowledgeable today. We then headed over to her practice managers beautiful house for dinner and drinks which was lovely.
So yeah, the plan for tomorrow is to get more sightseeing done!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things I’m thankful for....

But I didn’t see one kangaroo?!

Whistle stop tour of Canberra